Handmade Wrist Watches
One-of-a-kind, uniquely designed watches by Japanese artisans
- The Japan Handcraft-Watch Association is a gathering of talented watch artisans from across Japan
- Each watch is handmade by a one of JHA's skilled artisans
- Watches feature highly unique designs that reflect the individual artisan's style
- All mechanical parts assembled in Japan (almost all watches utilize Seiko brand parts)
- JHA's artisans begin with a vision and sketch of a watch
- Samples are made, and specific parts sourced
- Artisans utilize specialized techniques involving molding, scraping, and welding to customize the mechanics within the watch to fit their envisioned design
- The watch's case is designed as envisioned by the artisan
- Finishing (for watches featuring solid brass) is applied to achieve an antique character
Most watches feature solid brass or stainless silver cases, with various materials used in the strap
- Most watches feature Seiko's quartz movement
- All parts are assembled in Japan
In 1983, watch artisan Koji Shinohara established the Japan Handcraft-Watch Association as an individual venture, utilizing traditional watchmaking methods to create an entirely new direction of handmade watches. Since the establishment, Shinohara has received attention and praise within the watch making world for his highly unique style. Shinohara's focus is now on passing down his expertise to younger watch artisans and developing their careers in order to continue to supply the world with highly unique, handmade watches from Tokyo, Japan.
The Japan Handcraft-Watch Association is headquartered in the Kichijoji neighborhood of Tokyo. Aside from hand made watches, Kichijioji is also the home of numerous cartoon artists' and animators' studios, and is therefore an originator of a part of Japan's culture that is recognized around the world.
JHA watches have been (and continue to be) featured in various exhibitions in major galleries and department stores.
- All watches come with a one year warrantee
- Battery life is approximately 1.5 ~ 2 years (Quartz watch)
- Almost all watches are made with Seiko brand mechanical parts
Japan Handcraft-Watch Association
Approximately 1 month per custom made watch
Please contact for details on pricing.
- Naotaka Aogaki
- Kai Mitsushio
- Ray Hu
- Naotaka Aogaki